wedding invitations

As a designer, in any field, you will always be working with clients. I have learned in my experience as an interior designer that often your language is not the same as your clients language.

The words modern, vintage, preppy, etc. can mean very different things to different people. That is the challenge and the fun of the design process. Creating a vision and letting it evolve to meet the vision of your client, which often means many changes and revisions along the way. I think the key is to have a constant dialogue, both visually + verbally, to keep the the design vision clear in your own mind.

I have been working on designing a wedding invitation for my brother + future sister-in-law. I mentioned their color palette and my initial inspiration here. The lemon stamping is not what we ended up using, but I'll show you that round as well. I do love the lemon stamp and I'm sure I'll find many uses for it in the future. The final version is much different that the first rounds and I'm happy with how it turned out. Most importantly, my clients are really happy.

The final invitation + inserts (I changed the names/details):
click to enlarge




The early versions:


I should say that graphic design is not my forté, and now I admire all of the talented graphic designers out there so much more because it is tricky! There are so many type rules... and you just need to have that eye. My cousin Linsey was kind enough to give it a first, second, and third look. Don't worry, I'll leave it to the professionals.

14 comments:

Kellie said...

oh i just love how it turned out. way to go! mucho impressivo :)

squat

MandieGirl said...

Those are SO cool! Great colors!!!

Amber said...

it looks great! good job! I was just talking with my mom on the phone this morning and she said they got theirs.

since i have graduated, i wish all the time that i would have gone into graphic design. dang it!

Kelly said...

I love how they turned out. Very nice work.

The Bentley Family and Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

Very nice! I love them. Are those colors going to be their wedding theme colors too?

angela hardison said...

They turned out beautiful. You may have just proved my theory wrong that people who are not trained in graphic design shouldn't be doing it :) Well done!!

Caitlin said...

love love love! I'm hoping you'll take lots of pics of the wedding!

Jill said...

thanks everyone! yes their wedding theme colors are blue + yellow. with pop of bright pink from the flowers.

Laura said...

You did such a nice job. What would we do without our talented kids.

missy said...

I LOVE these! Really, beautiful.

Maija said...

I could not agree with you more! I´m also an interior designer and I´ve noticed that clients might even speak different language when it comes to colours! For example peachy colour to one of my clients meant the colour that peach has on the OUTSIDE, which is more like richer red colour...

Thanks for a great blog, I just happened to stumble upon it when googling around in the Internet.( I´m getting married in 2010 and noticed your cool invitations!) Keep up the good work! The invitations look GREAT!

Erin said...

you're a very talented designer jill. these look really great. are you a photoshopper?? what program did you use?

Jill said...

i used illustrator to make the invites, thanks!

melissa said...

very lovely! how are you printing them out, and what kind of paper?