black bean burgers

This week we added a new recipe to our dinner line-up. I saw a tasty looking recipe on CJane for spicy black bean burgers, which we in turn, unspiced for our mild palates.

They are very good! I dressed mine with lettuce & salsa. Brad's favorite version so far was thin slices of cheddar, ketchup, & lettuce.

On our list of toppings to test: sliced tomatoes + guacamole. That sounds so very good. We're going to perfect this black bean burger... I will report.

Until then, here is our less-spicy but full of flavor version...

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Black Bean Burgers

1/4 cup flour for coating (we found you need very little)
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, mashed
1/2 cup corn (we used frozen)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (or oats)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (we used dried)

Set flour aside for coating. Saute onion, garlic, oregano and hot pepper in oil until onions are translucent. In a large bowl mash the beans with a fork. Stir in onion mix, corn, bread crumbs, cumin, salt, chili powder and parsley. Mix well. Divide and shape into patties. Coat in flour. Cook on a lightly oiled frying pan on medium high for about 5-10 minutes, or until brown. Makes 5-6 patties.

7 comments:

Kellie said...

oh yum. i'd like to try this too. is the recipe you posted the mild version?

Kelly said...

I think it is time to give black bean burgers another try. I made some a few months back and they so bland and boring. This recipe seems like it might have a bit more flavor. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks as always for sharing.

paula said...

How yummy.

Amber said...

sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a try.

Kathryn said...

Ooh, I was hoping that you'd post these. They sound yummy - and healthy?? Maybe we'll give them a shot tonight. I need something for my menu.

I love the idea of guacamole.

(PS - what do you do with the "extra" buns? Freeze them? It's hard being a family of 2 sometimes)

{Liz Galvin} said...

Sounds tasty. I love veggie burgers so I really think I'd like these little guys.

jennifer lorton said...

These sound great, and vegan too, hooray! Thanks for the recipe, I think I'll make them tonight.
Jennifer
http://blog.jenniferlorton.com