dress shirt quilt

My Mom has been saving my Dad's worn dress shirts for a re-use quilting project. The collar and the sleeves wear-out much faster and the remaining fabric is saved for quilts. She is making one for each of the kids so I was able to photograph them in stages.



Cut the fabric into 7-9" wide strips (any width would be okay).

Afterwards, sew the pieces together, at angles, or straight.

Then piece the long strips together to make the quilt front.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



The layers: shirts, cotton batting, and a super-soft flannel backing.

Pin them together.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



The quilting stitches.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



My Mom wanted the binding to look like a neck-tie.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


The tag says "Cozy Dress Shirts by Laura, January 2009"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


The end result is a light weight, very soft quilt. I can remember my
Dad wearing many of these shirts so it will always be a sweet momento.

22 comments:

Julia said...

What a great idea, I should start saving old clothes to do something like that. Does she machine quilt or quilt them by hand?

Kellie said...

yeah! i'm so excited about these. little did we know she had been saving his old shirts for years...

Kelly said...

I love this idea. I want to make one of these.

Kathryn said...

This really is such a great idea. And how special to have. Love it.

paula said...

This is one of the best ideas ever. So sentimental and beautiful.

Amber said...

I recently saw one of these and thought it was such a great idea. your mom did such a good job. they look lovely and will be such a treasure to have.

tara said...

wow! what a wonderful idea! i want to make one

Laura said...

Thanks for posting this Jill. The pictures look really good. I machine quilt them. Love you, Mom

Sine family said...

So fun. I wish I could sew. Your mom is so talented. yay Laura.

Lindsey said...

That is a great idea. One I would love to copy someday!

s p i f f e e said...

funny ... another blogger just posted a very similar project ... color story #7

Brooke Reynolds said...

Beautiful! I have been working on one of my own.. but I might like yours more!! I love the randomness of it, mine is a bit too orderly.

Mrs. B. said...

wow! this is such a great idea. i love the way it turned out.

The Bentley Family said...

What an awesome idea. That will be such a special keepsake for all of you kids. I loved Kellie's blog about you by the way. Made me cry too. You moving back anytime soon?

lovelymorning said...

oh wow. amazing! such a pretty idea.

love your blog, btw.

xo

Erin said...

inspired. what a great idea!! matt gives his clothes away before i can stop him. maybe i'll insist he buy a new wardrobe so i can quilt up his current dress shirts. :)

Jenny Beth said...

I love this! Found your page while looking for quilted dress shirts, I'm trying to use the whole collar area of dress shirts for a memory quilt but I love this idea. What a treasure!

Kristen said...

What an awesome idea!! I wish I could make something like this for my daughter but my husband is a firefighter so in the end she would just have a quilt of faded blue polos mixed with some gray. I have although kept some clothes like the shirt I was wearing when my husband proposed, old music festival shirts...little things like that in hopes of making something similar.

allysonadeney said...

Thanks for posting this.
Such a lovely upcycling idea!
Is it Ok if I pass it on to my readers?
Ally <'v'>

Gallivanting_Girl said...

I've got lots of old jeans saved to make quilts with, and I plan on making one out of my grandfather's work clothes, but I think I'm going to have to find some dress shirts now too. Very beautiful quilt.

Jen @ AnotherJennifer said...

Beautiful. I love quilting with old clothes. I've made quilts out of floral shirts, jeans and corduroy but I love the idea of dress shirts. It would be light and soft. Thanks for sharing.

andrea chiu said...

Good day. I was impressed with your article. Keep it up . You can also visit my site if you have time. Thank you and Bless you always.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com