winter

When my fingers are freezing and I can't feel my nose, I sometimes forget why I love winter. An early morning search through flickr today reminded me exactly what I love about this season.

:: winter accessories :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ flickr favorite from piksi_ ]

As I walk to/from work, I get to laugh many, many times. I pass people on the street with enormous fur hats (we're talking 2ft. in height), huge scarves, and monstrous coats. I love the effort people put forth to fend off the cold.

:: hot chocolate :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ flickr favorite from simply photo ]

Especially when served with marshmallows. We can (and do) have it in the morning when we wake up or in the evening before we go to bed.

:: frost :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


[ flickr favorite from mav port2port ]

Frost is so beautiful when it creeps across the window panes. It's hard to tell if it is growing or shrinking.

:: contrast :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[flickr favorites from k_schumacher ]

I appreciate my cozy, warm house so much more because of the harsh temperature outdoors. I walk in with a gust, and quickly swap my puffy coat for warm sweaters and thick socks.

Spring-time seems that much more wonderful after our world has been frozen for months and things begin to thaw.

:: short days :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


[flickr favorites from soule mama + kimicon ]

I realized last night as I hurried to get home that there is something great about having shorter winter days. It fools me into thinking that the time is later, so I go out less, and stay in more. The longer evenings are spent at home, cleaning, baking, reading, etc. rather than going out every evening after work. It seems quieter and slower, a mini-hibernation every evening.

:: snow :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


[ flickr favorite from soule mama ]

[ photo from my trip to ut in march ]

I love snow, when it is falling, when it blankets the ground, when it crunches under my feet. It is beautiful.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Amen to all of that!

Kellie said...

pretty pictures. i do like winter...minus driving in the snow.

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

You just made our move to the land North sound much more appealing! I keep saying, we will enjoy spring and summer so much more after a cold Utah winter.

I couldn't help but wonder about all that you see on your walks to work in NYC...

Kelly said...

I love the pictures of the frost. All of my upstairs windows are starting to look like that. I love looking at the patterns and details. It is so pretty. Although, I could pass on the sub zero temps that are causing it.